Alhagi maurorum Medic.
Local Name: Janasa
Sindhi Name: Kandairo
Part Used: Whole plant
English Name: Persian Manna plant
AlhagimaurorumMedic.is aperennial plant.It is a heavily branched, gray-green thicket with long spines along the branches. Flowers are small and bright pink to maroon pea in color. Legume pods aresmall, brown or reddish colored, and constricted between the seeds.Seeds are mottled brown beans1,2.
A. maurorumis widely distributed in Turkey, Pakistan,Cyprus, Kashmir, Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan,Syria, Iran, Palestine, and North Africa3. In Pakistan, it is found inKarachi, Sindh, Baluchistan, Kutch, Poonch, Jehlum, Peshawar, Chitral, Gilgit, Mirpur, and Punjab4.
Ethnomedicinal Uses in Skin Diseases:
Candidiasis and Boils
Leaves of AlhagimaurorumMedik.(Caspian manna) are boiled in some water and this water is used for taking bath 2-3 times for the treatment of candidiasis in District Badin (Sindh). This water is also used as face wash for the treatment of boils in District Sajawal (Sindh).
A. maurumleaves are boiled in water. This water is then used for taking bath for the treatment of candida infection in District Tando Jam (Sindh).
- Powder of A. maurumbranches is taken orally 1 tablespoon daily with water in Districts Badin, Karachi, Sajawal, and Kashmore (Sindh).
- Powder of A. maurumplant are mixed with some water to make a paste and applied topically on measles in District Nawabshah (Sindh).
A. maurumis soaked in water and then sieved. The prepared extract is used for washing the affected area for the treatment of ringworm in District Mitiari (Sindh).
A. speciosawood is crushed to obtain a powder. It is taken orally with one glass of water for getting rid of itching in District Sukkur (Sindh).
Pyoderma and Scabies
Leaves of A. speciosa are ground to make a paste and applied topically for the treatment of pyoderma and itching in District Sukkur (Sindh).
Melizitose, vitaminC, lactone,coumarin,carotene,ursolicacid,flavonol,p-chloro-m-cresol,tannins,flavonoids,rutuin,β-phenthylamine,N-methyltyramine ,tetrahydroisoquinoline,N-methyl-β-phenyl-amine,hordenine,3-methoxy-4-dihydroxy-β-phenethyltrimethylammonium hydroide,salsolidine, cholesterol, and 24-alkyl sterolswere the some important constituents isolated from this plant4.
Medicinal Uses and Pharmacology/Scientific Studies.
A. maurorumis used for the treatment of asthmaand used as diuretic, laxative, blood purifier,aperient, and cholagogue. Flower is also used for the treatment of piles and oil is used in rheumatism1,3. Whole plant is used in summer for hotness of the body.Previousstudies on A. maurorum has been reported that it possess actioxidant activity5.
- Umberto Quattrocchi, F. L. S. (2012).CRC World Dictionary of Medical and Poisionous Plants, 1, 162-163
- (2011). “Alhagi mauroruminformation from NPGS/GRIN”. Taxonomy for Plants. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland, USDA. https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxonomydetail.aspx?2198
- Atta-ur-Rehman, Mohammad, H., and Ahmed, V. (1986). Pakistan EncyclopaediaPlantaMedica, 1, 295.